Skip to content ↓

Palace Wood

Primary School

From little acorns, mighty oaks grow

Special Educational Needs

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) at Palace Wood Primary School

We pride ourselves on welcoming all children to Palace Wood Primary School and we are aware that some children will require extra support. Sometimes pupils need support for a short time in order to make progress, but for others their needs will be ongoing.

All teachers are teachers of children with Special Educational Needs but are supported by a SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) who oversees provision in school. In our school, Amy Root is the SENCO. Mrs Root works Monday-Wednesday and can be contacted via the school office or by emailing

We also have an SEN Governor who discusses SEN support within the school but not specific cases.

Special Educational Needs Register

The SEN Register is a list that is kept in school of children who may require support from various people. Children who require further support in school and from outside agencies are identified as SEN Support and children whose needs are very complex may have an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan) which used to be known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs.  Parents are informed by letter if their child is added to or removed from the SEN Register and can discuss this with the school.

Outside Agencies

A variety of people visit school to offer support and advice with children. Schools meet termly at LIFT (Local Inclusion Forum Team) with outside agencies to discuss children who we have concerns about. Parental permission is always sought prior to these meetings.

Family/Emotional Difficulties

Mrs Bryer is our Family Liaison Officer and is able to offer guidance and support. She has access to a wide variety of information and can often listen and then help to point you in the right direction. Mrs Bryer also works with children who need nurture support, and can be contacted via the school office (select option 2) or by email:


There are a wide range of resources available for children with difficulties. These include: pencil grips, wedges, cushions, weighted mats, coloured overlays, ICT programmes. This list not exhaustive and when specific equipment is recommended children will usually have access to this.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact the school.

Mainstream Core Standards

Kent SEND Local Offer

Every local authority must publish a Local Offer. The SEND Local Offer tells you what support is available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities, and their families.

The SEND Local Offer is for:
• children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities from birth to 25
• their parents and carers
• practitioners and professionals.

You can find the SEND Local Offer for Kent County Council (KCC) at

Kent SEND Local Offer